Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Grand Canyon Bound!


I hope everyone had a Happy Easter or First Day of Spring! :-) I did! We had Timberline staff training last weekend and it snowed (as usual!). Doesn't matter what time of the year it is, it always snows on training weekend. Such is spring in Colorado...!

The bottom photo above was taken in November 2006 during a backpack trip that Steve & I took to the Grand Canyon. We hiked down the Hermit Trail, then across on the Tonto, down to the bottom / Bright Angel CG, and out South Kaibab. This location is near the top of S. Kaibab. If you look closely, you can see the trail descending from Cedar Ridge in the middle ground on the right.


We're headed there this weekend for the Grand Canyon/Havasupai trip, yay! The top photo is Havasu Falls, located below Supai Village on the Havasupai Reservation just west of Grand Canyon's South Rim. "Just west" is kind of a simple explanation. The location of the village quite remote and takes the better part of the morning to shuttle over to the trailhead from the South Rim. Access to the village is by foot, mule/horse, or helicopter as there are no driveable roads! As you can see from the photo, though, it is worth the 8-mile walk to the village. A day exploring the waterfalls of Supai is our reward for completing the 2-day hike (one day down, overnight at Phantom, next day hike out) into the Canyon. No matter how many times you visit, it's still a magical place!

Before I forget, those of you who asked for my summer schedule... Realize that this is subject to change, but here it is as I know it:

May: California Dreamin: Central Coast California bike tour, Kentucky Bluegrass bike tour
June: Blue Ridge NC bike tour, Yosemite hiking tour
July: Oregon Coast Classic bike tour, Rogue River Rambler bike tour
August: Columbia River Classic bike tour

Yes, looks like a lot of bike tours! I've already started cruising around on my bikes in preparation. :-)

You may ask, what's after August? Well, I'm going to have to keep you in suspense for now. I'm probably going to be away from touring this fall... but Steve will still be out there. I'll let you know as soon as I know for sure!



No comments: