Monday, January 7, 2008

Work in Progress!

Here's a 18"x24" painting I'm currently working on. It has a long way to go yet. I'm still having trouble with getting the lighting correct for photographs, and the original colors are slightly richer than this.

Colored pencil has generally been the medium of my choice. Mixing colors involves overlapping many layers & colors to achieve the desired effect. I'm new to acrylic and find a lot of challenge in mixing the paint to the color I have in mind!

With my last painting, I learned not to sketch out the whole design at once. The effect was that the paint did not completely saturate the canvas where my sketch was (although it looks fine on the wall, if you hold it up to a bright light you can tell). Now I'm experimenting with establishing the background first (mountain, rock wall, & lake) and then I'll be adding a foreground later (icebergs!). Stay tuned!

No comments: