Monday, December 3, 2007

Short Road Trip to Santa Fe, NM


Gorgeous day today despite the cutting wind. Drove down via Taos, though didn't stop for long (except a short visit to Cyd's Market for Luna bars and chocolate!). My 18 1/2 year old Toyota pickup took a beating on the bumpy pavement from Ft. Garland to Taos. I've driven her over a quarter of a million miles so far... and she's still going -- somewhat cautiously up mountain hills these days, though.

I entered historical downtown Santa Fe by way of Tesuque. Don't think I ever have driven this road north to south. Bike tours I've lead through here head north on this road up towards Nambe, Chimayo, and the High Road to Taos. The difference from May or September is the bare branches on the trees. Springtime brings a sort of leaf canopy to the road, making it feel quite intimate. Still a nice drive, though, with minimal traffic.

My curiosity led me to wander over to Canyon Road. Pine or fir boughs tied with red velvet ribbons draped over many of the gallery entrances. Gave it a real Christmasy feel.